One easy tweak we can make in everyday life are our food choices and habits. While our bodies adapt to our everyday choices, there are certain foods and food combinations that will boost our energy and digestions and ultimately our health!
Although there is a lot of information on this topic, I will keep this short so it can be an easy tweak!
- Keep starches and proteins separate. A starch is a complex carbohydrate made up of small chain sugar molecules. These foods are beans, pastas, peas, corn, rice and grains. Proteins are composed of amino acids and are the building blocks of our bodies. These foods are beef, tofu, dairy, fish, eggs, pork, beans etc. (yes, beans are both carbs and protein). To keep it simple, eat Starch meals with veggies and protein meals with veggies, but try not to combine.
- Eat fruit alone. This means do not slice banana on your cereal or mix fruit with milk in your smoothies.
- Chew your food well and slow down while you eat. This aids in better digestion.
- Eat your raw food first (salad before cooked meal)
- Sip water during meals but consume most of your hydration between meals
Remember 70% of our immune system is in our gut. All of these tips directly relate to digestion and gut health and keeping our immune system strong and ready to fight for our body!